JUNE 29, 2017 7 MINS READ
WordPress website maintenance is not a single step process nor just can be done in a single step. For website maintenance, you have to take many factors into consideration.
There are certain WordPress experiments you should not try since it may cause an adverse effect. But there are plugins to help in website maintenance. That is what we are going to see in this post plugins to help you in website maintenance.
[tables_content title=”Table Of Contents”][table_content link_type=”custom-link” title=”Things To Be Done In WordPress Website Maintenance” link=”#done”][table_content link_type=”custom-link” title=”Site Backup Plugins” link=”#backup”][table_content link_type=”custom-link” title=”- UpdraftPlus” link=”#up”][table_content link_type=”custom-link” title=”- ManageWP Backup” link=”#wp”][table_content link_type=”custom-link” title=”WordPress Security Plugin” link=”#security”][table_content link_type=”custom-link” title=”- Wordfence Security Plugin” link=”#fence”][table_content link_type=”custom-link” title=”- iTheme Security Plugin” link=”#itheme”][table_content link_type=”custom-link” title=”Plugins To Improve WordPress Website Performance” link=”#performance”][table_content link_type=”custom-link” title=”- W3 Total Cache” link=”#w3″][/tables_content]
Things To Be Done In WordPress Website Maintenance
Being a WordPress website maintenance and support service providers these are the factors we consider for regular WordPress website maintenance.
- Site Backup
- WordPress security and malware protection
- Site performance
Site Backup Plugins
It is always better to have a backup of the website. Regular backup helps you to recover from unexpected loss of data. You can use plugin to do this task easily
UPdraftPlus offers both free and premium service. Most of the basic needs are covered in the free version itself, for advanced features we need to get the premium service.
- Supports both manual and automated (scheduled) backups: every 4, 8, 12 hours; daily, weekly, fortnightly or monthly. Can even be customized to a specific time.
- Backs up files and databases on separate schedules
- Backup into the cloud (Amazon S3 (or compatible), Dropbox, Google Drive, Rackspace Cloud, DreamObjects, FTP, Openstack Swift, UpdraftPlus Vault and email) and restore with a single click
- In the premium version, you get encryption for security, their premium add-ons for easy backup and restore. You also get free 1GB space on their vault to store the backup. Apart from this you also get UPDraft central to remotely manage your backup.
- For free version, you have to use your own server where you installed your WordPress to use the UpdraftPlus central. In the premium version, you can manage the backup from the Updraft site itself. The premium plan starts at $70 you can manage up to two websites.
ManageWP is more than just a plugin it is the service provider. It offers many services to maintain your WordPress website. Backup is one of the services they provide. The monthly backup for one website starts at $2 per month.
You can choose the frequency of the website you need from weekly to real time that is for ever one hour. They also provide free backup version which is ideal for small website, for business website it is better to stick with the premium website.
Features Of Premium ManageWP Backup
- on-demand backups
- cloning/migration tool
- different backup frequencies, from weekly to near real-time (every 1h)
- download backup to your computer
- upload to your own external destination (Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3, OneDrive). This
feature is charged separately at $0.13/GB.
- exclude as well as include files and folders
- $75/month for up to 100 websites with a bundle. (please note that the bundle does not include real-time backup, it covers daily and weekly backups only)
[experts_box expert_title=”Easy One Click Solution”]Secure your website details safely and more secured. Buy the Site Backup support service[/experts_box]
WordPress Security Plugin
WordPress security is an important part in WordPress website maintenance. According to Ralf Benzmüller article in G Data Security Blog for every 4.2 seconds, a new malware specimen emerges. So it is always safe to update our website security.
[Tweet “For every 4.2 seconds a new #malware specimen emerges #security”]
It is always better to have a security checklist each time when we fix the website security. So that we don’t miss any important things. Improving the site security is a not a single click process or a process that can be completed in single step, it is a regular task in WordPress website maintenance.
Thankfully we have plugins to help us in this WordPress website maintenance task
Wordfence Security Plugin
Wordfence security plugin is an all in one security plugin which can be used for security, monitoring, blocking, login security and scanning.
- identifying malicious traffic, blocking attackers before they can access your website
- Block common WordPress security threats like fake Google bots, malicious scans from hackers and botnets
- Real-time blocking of known attackers
- Choose whether you want to block or throttle users and robots who break your WordPress security rules
- Sign-in using your password and your cellphone to vastly improve login security
- Enforce strong passwords among your administrators, publishers and users. Improve login security
- Scans core files, themes and plugins against WordPress.org repository versions to check their integrity
- Continuously scans for malware and phishing URL’s including all URLs on the Google Safe Browsing List
- See all your traffic in real-time, including robots, humans, 404 errors, logins and logouts and who is consuming most of your content
iTheme Security Plugin
iTheme security is also protected, detect, obscure and recover your WordPress website. This plugin gives you more than 30 ways to protect your WordPress website. They also provide plugin support and pro features for premium version.
- WordPress brute force protection of limit the number of failed logins
- File change detection- get email alerts when any files are changed in your WordPress website
- 404 page Detection- If a bot is scanning your site for vulnerabilities, it will generate a lot of 404 errors. iThemes Security will lock out that IP after the limit you set
- Strong password enforcement for better protection
- Lock out bad users who have lot of failed login attempts or when they produce lot of 404 page
- Scheduled database backups for automatic regular backups
Plugins To Improve WordPress Website Performance
Among all other WordPress website maintenance, the performance improvement is the fix which can be felt by us and the user. Enhancing the performance of the website also indirectly induce your site SEO.
[recommened_reading id=”4642″ title=”Recommended Reading:”]
Improving the site performance and the site speed optimization includes both technical and non-technical factors. There are plugins to help you with some non-technical factors, in that cache is one important factor.
W3 Total Cache
W3 Total Cache reduces download time and increase the site performance by using the CDN.
- Compatible with shared hosting, virtual private/dedicated servers and dedicated servers/clusters
- Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) support
- Caching of database objects in memory or on disk
- Browser caching using cache-control, future expire headers and entity tags with “cache-busting”
- Caching statistics for performance insights
- Reverse proxy integration via Nginx or Varnish
For Major Fixes You Need More Than A Plugin
These are the plugins you can use to do minor WordPress website maintenance. But still, you can’t completely take care of your website with the plugins alone. To make the website up and running properly you need to some technical fixes.
[recommened_reading id=”3054″ title=”Recommended Reading:”]
Getting a support for WordPress website is not a difficult task. As we said in Convert Wix to WordPress website post community is the strong point in the WordPress. There are so many tutorials and experts are there to help you.