MARCH 16, 2017 9 MINS READ
Mobile vs desktop is the hot topic in the internet research sector. Before the advent of smartphones, Pc’s or desktops were the only source for accessing the internet.
In 2014 it was expected that 50% of internet users will be from mobile devices. In 2016 the internet traffic through mobile devices was around 63%. This shows how mobile devices has grown and how should your business strategy should vary according to it.
This analysis report helps you understand people’s behavior on the internet with the devices they use in their day to day life. Without further delaying let us get into the report.
[exclusive_bonus title=”Reader’s Benefit:”]Value added benefit to WP Team Support readers. Free PDF download 2017 Mobile VS Desktop Trends Helps Small Businesses Earn Million Dollars[/exclusive_bonus]
Mobile vs Desktop Usage Cycle in a Day
From observing on our routine life itself we can understand this pattern. Most of us wake up with our phone and go to sleep with our phone. 54% of Brazil people sleeps alongside their phone. While in the office we check our mobile once in awhile only (well not mostly at least when our Boss is in the office).
The usage stats shows that
[table][thead][tr][th][/th][th]Time[/th][th]Mobile Usage[/th][th]PC Usage[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr][td]Late Night[/td][td]12 am to 7 am[/td][td]10%[/td][td]10%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Early Morning[/td][td]7 am to 10 am[/td][td]30%[/td][td]20%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Ddaytime[/td][td]10 am to 5 pm[/td][td]18%[/td][td]60%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Early Evening[/td][td]5 pm to 8 pm[/td][td]60%[/td][td]58%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Late Evening[/td][td]8 pm to 12 am[/td][td]90%[/td][td]46%[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
From the above table, you can easily visualize the internet usage cycle by the people in a day. The peak hour for internet traffic is late evening 8 pm to 12 am.
The usage of PC reaches nearly a saturation point after the day time, but as the sun moves towards the west the usage of mobile devices peaks up.
Media Usage Stats on Internet
After understanding the internet life cycle, we must know where people spend most of the time on the internet. Yes, we have to right?
- 47% of internet traffic goes for online surfing and website viewing
- 24% people watches linear TV
- 13% listens to Broadcast radio
- 10% spends on PrintPress
- 6% enjoys in game consoles
Mobile vs Desktop Users Based on Age Group
The internet usage on devices changes based on the age groups also. Different age group prefers different devices based on which the internet traffic from devices changes.
16 to 34 age group people prefer mobile phones over desktops or laptops for instant usage in their routine life. People from 35 to 64 prefers desktops, laptops and other such devices over mobile phones.
[table][thead][tr][th]By Age[/th][th]Mobile Only[/th][th]Desktop and Other Devices[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr][td]16 to 34[/td][td]36%[/td][td]26%[/td][/tr][tr][td]35 to 64[/td][td]9.3%[/td][td]16.3%[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
Social Media Usage Stats
Among 47% of internet surfing as mentioned above, nearly 1/4th of the traffic moves towards social media. This explains why most of the traffic to the website comes from social media marketing, which we talked about in one of our previous posts.
So how many percents each device contribute towards the social media usage in the internet
- Mobile devices contributes 78%
- PC/Laptop takes 72%
20% mobile-only users are likely to be on Facebook
[blockquote]”In five years’ time Facebook
will definitely be mobile
and probably all be video”
– NICOLA MENDELSOHN, FACEBOOK VP IN EMEA[/blockquote]
Internet Population Growth Details
The growth of the Online or Internet population is spiking up vigorously in the past 6 years. The reason for this is the increase in smartphone users.
1 in 3 global internet user is from China. The reason is obviously China is the biggest market but the main reason is due to the increased use of smartphones among the people. However China isn’t holding the number one place in internet population growth, surprisingly the country holding that position is India.
The increase in number of internet population size 2011-2016
Breaking the Data
India being the top with 103% growth in internet population let us break this data and have a deeper insight on which device people use the internet most
- 40% of the people are multi-device users
- 37% of the people are mobile only users
In South Africa, this case is totally different. Multi-device users are twice as likely as mobile only users.
Device Ownership Across The Globe
Online, being a global market we cannot come to a decision based on these two regions alone. Let us take a look around the world the percentage of device ownership.
Asia Pacific being a most populated region, the stats shows
- 94% of users own smartphones
- 85% of them own a PC/Laptop
Moving on to Europe, with busy and more professional people the stats here is
- 86% owns smartphones
- 90% owns PC/Laptop (This shows they are really professional people)
Landing on the wealthy Middle east and wild African region, the device ownership stats is
- 95% of the people own smartphones
- 80% of the people owns a PC or a Laptop
Interestingly the results in North America is different, being a motherland for many tech giants the stats shows
- 82% of people own the smartphone
- 91% of the people owns PC’s most preferably laptops.
82% in the smartphone is lowest in the segment, but with 91% of PC owners, it clearly states that Desktops are still in the game.
Growing Mobile Users
India holding a faster internet population growth, it also plays a major role in the smartphone sale. 13% share of global mobile purchase is from India.
The percentage of internet users who said that they intend to buy a mobile phone in next 6 month based on region as follows
- In Europe, 14% of people intended to buy
- Only 8% of North Americans intend to buy a new phone
- 15% of Indians are interested in buying a mobile
User’s Most Preferred Devices
We cannot simply say as the mobile users are growing drastically that a business should concentrate on mobile platform lot. We must know the preferred device by the user and we have the answer for you.
The percentage of most important internet devices for users are
- 41% smartphone
- 31% Laptop
- 26% PC or Desktop
48% of people search or research about a new product or services in their mobile first.
Preferred Devices Based on Age
Again the preferred devices vary among different age people. The most preferred device based on the age group as follows
[table][thead][tr][th]Age Group[/th][th]Smartphone[/th][th]Desktop/PC[/th][th]Laptop[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr][td]16 to 34[/td][td]51.5[/td][td]18.5[/td][td]28.5[/td][/tr][tr][td]35 to 64[/td][td]25.33[/td][td]36.66[/td][td]35.33[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
As you can see smartphones are very much famous among the youths and they preferred to use laptops over desktops again.
Matured and middle-aged people tend to use PC and Laptops(almost equally) than smartphones. One of the reasons for this is most of them are professionals with higher posting and are well experienced in their field. They use the internet devices more for their professional uses than leisure uses.
Preferred Devices for E-commerce
- The leading 25% mobile retailers saw 50% of their sales from mobile
- Marketers with best mobile responsive sites take a significantly larger sale
- Mobile transactions increased as more retailers design mobile-friendly sites. South Korea has approximately 97% mobile optimized website. More evidently their share of sales through mobile considering all over the world is 50%
- 1.7 billion transactions are done through desktop and mobile sites per year.
- Retail mobile transaction through mobile browser alone is 46%
- Companies with the optimized website for mobile devices get 39% more sales than non-responsive website companies.
Mobile Responsive Site at 20 Support Credits
Getting a mobile responsive website to boost your online sales and conversion rate is easy and very economic now.
Support Credit system of WP Team Support is most economic, transparent and smartest way to fix your WordPress website. Only buy the support credits needed for your website fix not even a penny above that.
At WP Team Support all your website needs are fulfilled.
- Integrate payment gateway for your online store
- Add e-commerce plugins and configure it for your site
- Revamp your entire WordPress site
- Move non-WordPress website to WordPress website
- Make your website Mobile responsive to improve mobile sales and conversions
- 57% of UK people have internet access internet through their mobile phones.
- More Google searches take place on mobile devices than on computers in 10 countries including the U.S. and Japan.
- 75% of Gmail users access their accounts on mobile devices
- Emails sent in the United Kingdom and the “Rest of World” region (Asia/Pacific, Mexico/Central/South America, South Africa, and India) had the highest mobile readership, at roughly 55 percent.
- In 2016 time spent per day for media in mobile devices is approximately 2hoursand in desktop and laptop is 4 hours.
- Internet celebrated its 25th birthday in 2016
- World Wide Web was born in CERN, European Council for Nuclear Research
- You can browse the first website in the world at http://info.cern.ch – home of the first website.
Slide To Unlock
From the above stats, you might be knowing the need for a mobile responsive website. Again desktop users are still in the game. There is still need for the website in both mobile and PCs.
Of course, there is an increase in website traffic, higher conversion rate and sales through the app in the mobile devices. But still, the mobile applications are helping your main website gain more traffic. When you observe closely you will see that all the app conversion rate higher are for leading brands not for small business or developing companies.
So you have all the stats to understand the trends in 2017, but how you are going to plan your marketing strategy and allocate your budget based on this. Don’t worry we will help you figure out that in our next post. To get it first all you have to do is to subscribe to WPTS.
Share your thoughts and if you have any questions feel free to ask for it in the comment section. Still, more days left in 2017 to make a billion dollar business come true. Act from this second, join with WP Team Support to leave your website worries and spend your time wisely like reading useful articles like this(just joking) to improve your business.